Saturday, October 31, 2009

Jumbled Up Thoughts

Thank you to everyone for all of your support.

This is a process, and I fully expect to read back on these first blog posts and be embarrassed by my own ignorance. (Actually, I just wrote that so future me would stop cringing)  While I have been thinking about this project for years, I have not done my homework and I know I am not fully prepared for what is ahead.

Right now, I am not thinking about what is ahead. Right now, I am crazy inspired. I have a head full of story just waiting to be written. What I want to do is get it out of my head no matter how messy it may be. It is not safe in my head. I will revise it, reject it, or forget it, before it ever has a chance to be put into context. On paper it is safe. On paper it has a chance. When I stumble onto ideas I want to incorporate into later chapters of the book, I write them down instantly. I keep a stack of index cards on me, and when I am struck with an idea, I write it on a card. One idea per card. Those cards get organized every so often. but non is ever thrown out. Those ideas are now safe on paper.

Some of yesterdays ideas were:
The juice of three dandelion stems picked at sunrise (an ingredient in a potion)
Underbilt (a good last name for my oldest boy hero who is waiting for his growth spurt)
Flip Flop (a possible name for one of the back shed rats)
and Jumbleberry Jam (not sure how to use it yet)

Thanks 4 Reading

1 comment:

Alyssahen said...

Underbilt! I love it! What could you do with Jumbleberry jam? Maybe one of the rats is addicted to it and this gets everyone in trouble.